Sunday, December 17, 2017

The Christmas Village Tree

Yesterday, my hubby and I decided to have some fun decorating one of our smaller Christmas trees.  I had seen this on Pinterest and it looked like something I wanted to try - a Christmas Village on the Christmas tree.  My main Christmas village is set up in a different area but I still had some smaller pieces that I could use.  My hubby secured the buildings for me using fishing line.  It holds and it's practically invisible.  If you want to know how well it held, read about it near the end of this post.



We didn't have enough pieces so we just pushed the tree into the corner and decorated what we could.  If you're wanting to try it yourself, the buildings are often available at thrift stores if you want to do it cheap.  The figures can sometimes be purchased at your local dollar store.  I used cotton batting for the snow (hubby's idea and a good one) and hung some icicle decorations up to brighten things up.  Keep reading...I may need to make a visit to the thrift store and dollar store myself...
















Sooo...I put the fishing line to the test today.  As I was cleaning, I "gently" moved the little stool the tree was on when KERSPLAT (is that how you spell it LOL??).  The tree toppled over and landed face down, I was scared to look.  I think it toppled easily due to most of the weight being on one side.  Unfortunately, 3 pieces were slightly broken but it held up much better than I thought.  But do you know what?  As I picked the tree up, the buildings were still hanging on (and I do mean hanging, they require some rearranging).  The fishing line held.  My hubby is out purchasing my Christmas presents right now.  I bet he'll be thrilled to find out I broke something else.  He must really love me.  I hope he doesn't share this with Santa haha!!

On another note, this is a photo from 2 days ago while I was getting ready for work.  It was just starting to get light outside.  Our warm weather lasted a really long time this year but as I live in a snow belt, I knew it was just a matter of time.  We have had lots of snow and have been having snow squall warnings daily for possibly a couple of weeks or so.  There is no wind today though.


The sun was starting to come up.  I know, the icicles aren't a good thing but I thought they looked pretty.


I love the blue sky but in the winter it means it's probably cold.  And it was.  This was yesterday.



Looking out the livingroom door towards the pond.



We forgot to bring the table in off the deck, it looks like it will be a little hard to get to now.


I hope you have a wonderful week ahead and thank you so much for dropping by.  I'm always thrilled with your visits.

~ Kelly ~

10 comments:

  1. Love the village Christmas idea. Sorry for your tree toppling over. The icicles and snow add the finishing touch to it. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Aunt Kelly, I just love your sweet village on the tree! What a fun and clever idea. I am sorry it toppled over, but what a relief that everything held on tightly :)

    LOVE your snow pictures. It's sooo dry here...hardly any snow! We are supposed to get a little this Thursday and maybe some on Saturday. Instead of singing about a white Christmas we are singing about a brown Christmas because it's very brown here.

    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The village tree is a great idea. I'm sorry for the toppling over. These things happen sometimes! Beautiful snowy photos. We don't see much of the white stuff out here and I'm always happy when it does snow. None likely for Christmas, though. Have a blessed Christmas celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love all the pictures. So sweet. That Christmas village tree is adorable. I had to pin that! Merry Christmas to you and yours. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Christmas tree village!! The batting looks like snow and those icicles look so cold and real. I hate that the tree fell over...sounds like something I would do. :) Gosh, it looks cold and snowy there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a cute idea with the buildings, you have a great collection going there and your hubby had a great idea with cotton batting it is really a nice touch, and I love the container you have for it! That is a bummer it fell on you, but nice to know the fishing line works.
    Your farm looks lovely in the freshly fallen snow! I too love the deep blue skies!!
    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the snow pictures are SO beautiful!! I loved the icicles, too. :) And, your husband's idea to use the batting as snow is just genius! The tree looks so pretty. Thank you so much for sharing! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute tree Kelly! We had heavy snowfall too but after yesterday and today it's almost all melted. MERRY CHRISTMAS

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is quite a lot of snow!!! It looks gorgeous. We had some warm weather that melted a bunch of ours and so it is not so pretty at the moment. I hoping for a fresh fall soon. That is too bad about the broken pieces, but oh boy, do I ever love that idea! If I ever accomplish my goal of making my little paper putz house collection, that would be the perfect way to display them.

    Have a very Merry Christmas Kelly!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Christmas village tea looks adorable! I'm glad that there were only 3 casualties in the '17 Tree Toppling. I don't have space for a Christmas village, but would love to add a tea house/shop...if I ever find any around here.

    It looks like you're living in a winter wonderland. Merry Christmas, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete